The water was crazy outside...
& as the storm raged outside, Finau just slept with pooh
When I was a freshmen at BYU-Hawaii during winter semester it rained pretty much for 90 days straight. We got over 70 inches of rain during those three months. It was so disgusting because everything would flood and it contaminated the water and people were getting sick over in Waikiki because of the sewer going into the ocean and all of the polluted water that people were coming into contact with. Today was almost like reliving it all.
We're living on the bottom floor of our building. I had slept in the living room Wednesday night because Finau & Filipo were taking up the whole bed and I just could not get comfortable. I feel asleep but all night I heard it raining and people outside but I didn't really think anything of it. At 8 AM I was walking out of my door to go to work and my boss calls and tells me not to go to work because it is so flooded. An hour or two later there were so many volunteers sand bagging our houses and trying to get the water out. It's amazing to me how people come together in a crisis. So Filipo went off to take his final but then after the teacher told them they had to come take it he changed his mind. Filipo went out to help and I watched Finau. Around 1 we went to eat and then I spent all day/night working in the Emergency Shelter as a volunteer.
It was sad to go over to our old building. Those apartments are below ground level so the water rose to the tops of their windows and flooded in and there was at least 7 inches in their homes. It ruined so many things. All over Laie it was waist deep or higher and people were out in Kayaks and boats. The important thing was nobody got hurt & the things that got ruined are just that, things.
plus i got an extra day with my family, that's what matters most to me!
After it was all over...
No comments:
Post a Comment